Part 1: Red Velvet Sponge Sheet:
- 120g Unsalted butter, diced.
- 50g Crimson Red cocoa powder
- 275g Granulated sugar
- 110g Whole eggs
- 1 Vanilla pod, seeded
- 330g All-purpose gluten free flour
- 200g Whole milk
- 5g White balsamic vinegar
Red coloring, as desired
- Begin by beating the caster sugar, butter & vanilla until light & fluffy, before adding in the whole eggs until incorporated.
- Combine and sieve the Crimson Red cocoa powder & flour together and fold into the mixture in stages.
- Mix together the milk, vinegar & coloring and beat into the mixture until a ribbon can be formed in the batter.
- Spread thinly onto a prepared baking tray and bake for approximately 20 minutes at 180°C/355°F until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down before portioning into relevant sizes.
Part 2: Chocolate Cremeux:
- 215g cream
- 185g Whole milk
- 180g Egg yolk
- 25g granulated sugar
- 60g True Dark cocoa powder
- 415g Milk Chocolate (34-40%)
- Combine the double cream, milk, whole egg, True Dark cocoa powder & caster sugar and begin heating, ensuring you whisk continuously to avoid the mixture ‘scrambling’.
- ‘Cook’ the mixture out like an anglaise, ensuring it reaches 80°C/175°F. Maintain the temperature for a minute, before removing from the heat and pouring over the chocolate.
- Process the cremeux with a hand blender & pour into your desired mould before freezing
Part 3: Cream Cheese Mousse:
- 80g Granulated sugar
- 290g Cream
- 75g Egg yolk
- 8g Silver gelatin sheets
- 250g White chocolate
- 150g Cream cheese
- 350g Double cream, lightly whipped
- In a pan over medium heat, combine & cook the caster sugar, egg yolk & 290g double cream until it thickens. Meanwhile, soak the gelatin sheets until soft and ready to use.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the gelatin, then pour over the chocolate before processing with a hand blender until smooth. Allow to cool to 40°C/105°F before adding the cream cheese and processing again.
- Once smooth, fold through the lightly whipped cream to create the mousse, before transferring into a piping bag ready to build the gateaux.
Part 4: Red Mirror Glaze:
- 44g Silver gelatin sheets
- 240g Water
- 400g Granulated sugar
- 430g Glucose
- 330g Condensed milk
- 175g Neutral glaze
- 460g White chocolate
Red coloring as desired
- Soak the gelatin sheets and once strained, add into a suitably sized container with the condensed milk, neutral glaze & white chocolate.
- In a pan, heat the water, caster sugar and glucose, stirring minimally.
- Pour the hot mixture over the contents of the container and begin processing with a hand blender until smooth and all air bubbles have gone. Add color as desired and store ready for use. When ready, glaze at 35°C/95°F.
Part 5: Assembly:Method
- Prepare the desired silicone mould, and begin by piping the cream cheese mousse, filling approximately half of each cavity.
- Take your chocolate cremeux inserts from the freezer and place one inside each cavity, before piping more mousse until nearly full. Ensure each cremeux insert is fully covered and central within the mould.
- Place one piece of red velvet sponge on top of the mousse and wipe away any excess mousse taking care to ensure the sponge sits flush within the mould so when turned out, it doesn’t sit higher than wanted as this can affect the stability of the gateaux once defrosted.
- Freeze until firm, demould and glaze immediately as directed. Remove the excess glaze, and present as desired before preparing the balsamic whipped ganache.
- To finish the gateau pictured, use some tempered white chocolate ‘swipes’ for a vibrant color contrast.