- The day before, mix the cocoa powder with the milk to form a smooth paste. Reserve in an airtight container and refrigerate over night (12-16 hours)
- On the day of, bring the paste to room temperature before making the dough.
- Cut the butter into cubes and reserve at room temperature. It should be pliable but not soft.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except the butter, in the bowl of a stand mixer. With a dough hook attachment, mix on low speed to combine. Switch to medium speed and gradually add in the butter in small batches. Be sure each addition of butter is emulsified into the dough before adding more.
- Once all of the butter has been added, mix on medium speed until full gluten development.
- Proof until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
- Punch the dough down and pre shape into a square. Refrigerate over night.
- Shape the dough to the appropriate size per your desired pan.
- Cover with plastic and allow to proof for about 1.5-2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F for about 30–40 minutes.
- 454g beets
- 18g extra virgin olive oil
- 1g salt
- Roast the beets whole at 180°C/350°F for 20-25 minutes. They should be tender all the way through.
- Allow the beets to cool then peel and dice into 1.25cm/0.5in cubes.
- Toss in the olive oil and salt.
- 227g crème fraiche
- 1g salt
- Place the crème fraiche and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- With the whisk attachment, whip on high to stiff peaks.
- At this point, it can be bagged and ready to pipe. You can also pipe the crème fraiche into molds and freeze for a cleaner look. Reserve frozen until needed.
- Carbon Black Brioche
- Roasted Beets
- Crème Fraiche
- Lemon Zest
- Fresh Thyme
- Slice the brioche into 1.25cm/0.5in slices. Cut each slice into 3.75cm/1.5in squares.
- Top with the roasted beets, lemon zest, thyme and a dollop of crème fraiche.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how