- 150g Self-Raising Flour
- 175g Salted Butter
- 175g Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 170g Eggs (Approx. 3 Large Eggs)
- 25g Cocoa Powder - Rich Terracotta
- 4g (1 tsp) Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Prepare 2 round 8 inch cake moulds by lining with greaseproof paper. Grease with a little bit of oil or butter.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Weigh and sift flour and baking powder in separate bowl.
- In another bowl weigh and lightly whisk your eggs.
- Incorporate alternate quantities of dry ingredients and eggs into the creamed mixture until fully incorporated.
- Add cake batter to moulds (smooth out the batter evenly to prevent burning or uneven baking).
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning the moulds occasionally). Test the readiness of the cakes by inserting a knife to the center of the cakes (if knife comes out clean, cake is ready).
- Once ready, remove cakes from the oven and cool for 20 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- 50g Cocoa Powder - Rich Terracotta
- 150g Salted Butter
- 125g Sugar
- 30ml Water
- 45g Egg Yolks
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and place over a medium heat making sure that it doesn't go over 115ºC.
- While the syrup is heating, start whipping the egg yolks until they are thick and light.
- At the same time, incorporate the cocoa powder into the butter thoroughly with a spatula (making sure there are no lumps of cocoa powder).
- When the syrup reaches 115ºC, pour it very slowly into the beaten egg yolks while whipping constantly.
- Continue to whip until the mixture is completely cool and thick (ribbon stage).
- Add the butter/cocoa mixture gradually while whipping until well absorbed.
- 100ml Water
- 50g Sugar
- 20g Cocoa Powder - Rich Terracotta
- In a saucepan, place the water, sugar and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil (make sure to stir constantly to prevent the sticking of the cocoa at the bottom).
- Let cool and soak (with a pastry brush or spoon) into cake sponge during assembling.
- Cocoa Powder,
- Chocolate Decor,
- Cocoa Nibs,
- Toasted Nuts,
- Once cakes are cool, carefully slice the top of the cakes to allow a flatter top and to allow the syrup to soak in properly.
- Place a little frosting on the plate to position the first half. Soak the cake generously with the syrup and let sit for 2 minutes before adding frosting.
- Add 1/3rd of the frosting onto the first half of the cake. Spread evenly with an off-set spatula (a pallet knife or spoon works as well). Let set for a couple of minutes before adding the second cake.
- Position the second cake on top of the frosting. Repeat step 3 for the top of the cake.
- Using an off-set spatula or a piping bag, add the frosting to the side of the cake. Smooth the sides by spreading it evenly around the cake.
- The finished cake can be decorated on top by dusting cocoa powder, chocolate décor, cocoa nibs or toasted nuts to add some additional flavours.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how