- In a cooled mixing bowl, add you cream. Whip to medium peaks. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a heat-proof bowl, add the cocoa butter. Melt completely not surpassing 45ºC. Once at the correct temperature add the cocoa powder and blend thoroughly to temper and eliminate any lumps (best with hand-blender)
- Set aside cocoa mixture.
- In a bowl, add egg yolks and sugar and beat until well combined.
- In a saucepan, add milk and bring to a simmer.
- Temper egg yolk mixture with ¼ of the milk by pouring gradually and stirring at the same time (preventing over-heating your egg yolk mixture)
- Add egg and milk mixture back to the saucepan with remaining milk. Cooking the anglaise on low heat until 81ºC (Nappé) and stirring constantly
- Once correct temperature is reached, pour through a chinois (sifter) onto cocoa mixture. With a whisk, mix all ingredients thoroughly. Leave to cool down for about 5-10 min depending on the batch size.
- Once your anglaise is to correct temperature (25ºC), Fold in the whipped cream 1/3 of the quantity at a time. Making sure not to over mix ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are well combined, add to desired cup. Weighing out 110g per portions.
- Let rest in refrigerator to set until ready to serve.
- For best texture and flavor results, remove from refrigerator 20-30 min before serving to temper.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how