- Combine all the ingredients for the sponge in a bowl and mix for 2 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and should have developed some gluten.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm spot to proof for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- 100g Whole Eggs (room temp.)
- 250g Bread Flour
- 160g Sugar
- 10g Salt
- 115g Butter (room temp.)
- Combine the entire sponge from the recipe above, eggs, flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Mix on medium speed for about 10 minutes, scraping down the hook and bowl frequently. Mix until almost full gluten development.
- Add the butter in 3 parts, a few pieces at a time, then mix to full gluten development.
- Proof for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 55g portions.
- Roll each portion into a round and place on parchment-lined sheet trays. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for about an hour.
Note: Dough can be kept chilled for up to 12 to 16 hours before use.
- Dough (from above)
- Oil (for frying)
- After the first proofing of the dough, knock down the dough and reshape into a square.
- Flatten and chill overnight.
- Roll the dough out to 2cm thick and punch out doughnut shapes.
- Cover and proof for an hour.
- Heat oil to 160°C/325°F. Fry the doughnuts for about 2 minutes per side, until golden
- 300g Heavy Cream
- 160g Glucose Syrup
- 130g Sugar
- 1g Salt
- 110g deZaan Crimson Red Cocoa Powder
- 100g Butter
- Heat the cream, glucose, sugar, and salt in a pan, stirring gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and blend in the cocoa powder and butter until smooth. Glaze the doughnuts and let stand until set.
Note: This glaze recipe is versatile and can be used as a whipped ganache, filling, or cake icing, in mousses, beverages, etc.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how