- Combine the dates and water in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until the dates are soft. Transfer to a blender with any remaining water and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, Crimson Red, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Combine the egg with the vanilla and cooled date paste. Add to the creamed butter. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Bake in sprayed molds (6cm x 9.5cm), at 180oC/350oF for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the cake to slightly cool for a few minutes. Spoon 50 g of the warm sauce over the top and sides of each cake. Chill.
- Once chilled, the cakes will be easier to unmold.
- Sauce the cake one more time right before serving.
- Caramelize the sugar and glucose syrup to a light amber color.
- Stir in the butter, followed by the glucose.
- Off the heat, blend in the Crimson Red until smooth. Strain.
- 336g Water, hot
- 2g Salt
- 60g Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- 130g Granulated Sugar
- 20g Glucose Syrup
- 50g Malt Syrup
- 10g Instant Coffee Powder
- 2g Stabilizer
- 390g 35% Cream
- 10g Vanilla Extract
- In a container, blend the water, salt, non fat dry milk powder, sugar and coffee powder until dissolved.
- Blend in the malt syrup, stabilizer and glucose syrup until dissolved.
- Lastly, blend in the cream and vanilla extract. Allow the base to sit over night.
- Blend the base once more right before spinning.
- 400g Water
- 150g Vegetable Oil
- 50g Flour
- 1g Salt
- 4g Vanilla Extract
- Combine the ingredients with a whisk until sooth.
- Ladle the batter into a non stick frying pan, covering the entire surface.
- Give the batter a stir, then allow the batter to cook on medium heat.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel to absorb any excess grease.
- Orange Zest
- Roasted Hazelnuts
- Place the sauced cake in the center of the plate.
- Garnish with roasted hazelnuts. Place the coral tuile in the top left corner of the cake. Place a quinelle of the malted coffee ice cream on top of the tuile.
- Finish with freshly grated orange zest.
- Spoon the sauce on the side of the cake.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how