- 500g Unsalted butter
- 500g Demerara sugar
- 470g All purpose flour
- 30g deZaan True Dark Cocoa powder
- Place all ingredients in mixer and paddle until combined.
- Roll out on dough sheeter to 3.5 mm between silpats.
- Reserve in freezer, punch out discs when cold
- 150g Butter
- 35g Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 200g AP flour
- 6 ea Eggs
- 30g deZaan True Dark cocoa powder
- In a large, deep pot, bring water, sugar and a salt to a boil
- Whisk in flour and Cocoa Powder Very important stirring in the flour to avoid flour lumps.
- Cook on low/medium heat until mixture pulls away from bottom of pan.
- Dough, should be very dry, remove from heat and transfer to mixer, paddle in eggs in three increments. (you may not need to use all the eggs)
- Scrape down bowl, spread on tray lined with silpat, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Pipe choux to desired shape/size. Cover with craquelin should be larger than the diameter of the choux bun.
- Set Rational Combi to 350 F/ 180 C half steam/bake, 1 moisture level, fan 2. Bake for 20 minutes
- Change bake setting to no steam, without opening door, bake for another 20 minutes.
- Crack the oven door, and dry for another 10 minutes.
- When completely cool, can be frozen in sealed plastic bags.
- Using large pastry tip, make large hole in base of chouquette.
- Fill halfway with namelaka, place whole maraschino cherry inside, then fill with more namelaka.
- Using fluted tip, pipe small rosette on base of chouquette.
- Dust with Crimson Red Cocoa powder, finish with feuilltine flakes, fresh cherry halves, Sicilian pistachios and chocolate garnish.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how