- 500g Flour
- 30g Sugar
- 25g deZaan Carbon Black Cocoa Powder
- 50g Warm Water
- 4g Yeast
- 210g Water
- 15g Sunflower Oil
- 15g Rice Vinegar
- 4g Baking Powder
- Sift the flour, 20g of the sugar, and the cocoa powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining 10g sugar, warm water, and yeast in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast mixture, water, oil, and vinegar. Add the dry ingredients and mix to a smooth texture, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to proof for 1 to 1.5 hours, until doubled in size.
- Press the dough down and knead in the baking powder. Divide into 28g portions.
- Roll each piece into a round. Brush the tops will oil and fold in half. Place on a parchment square.
- Cover with plastic wrap and proof until doubled in size. Steam on medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- 226g Milk
- 226g Heavy Cream
- 113g Sugar
- 35g Cornstarch
- 142g Egg Yolks
- 7g Vanilla Paste
- 250g Butter
- 25g deZaan True Dark Cocoa Powder (optional)
- In a pot, combine the milk and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- While whisking constantly, slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the egg.
- Return to the pot and cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, followed by the cocoa powder (if using).
- Strain and chill until ready to use.
Toasted walnuts (for garnish)
- Pipe the custard into the buns and garnish with toasted walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how