- 200g Plain Flour
- 4g (1 tsp) Baking Powder
- 100g Salted Butter
- 15g Cocoa Powder - Carbon Black
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 3ml (1 tsp) Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- Sift flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until breadcrumb like texture.
- Add sugar and cocoa powder, mix thoroughly.
- Add egg and vanilla essence, mix until dough is formed.
- Roll dough out into a log shape.
- Using plastic film wrap, wrap the dough tightly. Let rest overnight in the refrigerator (can also be stored in the freezer until needed).
- When ready, cut thin rounds and place on sheet tray.
- Bake at 180ºC for 10-12 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before filling.
- 202ml Single Cream
- 202ml Single Cream
- ½ Tonka Bean (make sure to peel off outer skin)
- 6g Gelatin Leaf (equal to 3 leaves)
- 80g White Chocolate
- In a bowl filled with cold water, add your gelatin to bloom. When bloomed (feels like silky jelly) squeeze to strain out any excess water and set aside until needed.
- In a bowl, weigh the white chocolate and set aside until ready to use.
- In a saucepan, add 1st quantity of cream and grate the ½ tonka bean directly into the cream (preferably with a micro-plane but a normal fine grated will work as well).
- Bring the cream and tonka mixture to a rolling boil.
- Once the cream is boiling, pour into the bowl containing the white chocolate. Let sit for about 1-2 minutes before stirring.
- At 2 minutes, add the gelatin to the cream/white chocolate bowl and whisk ingredients together.
- Once ingredients are well combined, pour in the 2nd quantity of cream and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a heat-proof container, place a small piece of plastic film wrap over the top to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool in the refrigerator overnight (approx 8 hours) for best results.
- Once set, use a piping bag to pipe onto an upturned biscuit and then sandwich together with another.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how