- 70g Hazelnuts
- 70g Almonds
- 40g Oats
- 100g Long-grain rice (uncooked)
- 70g Cocoa Nibs
- 10g Terra Rossa Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1L Water
- 200g Sugar (caster)
- 250ml Nut Milk of choice (can also be made with oat milk or regular milk)
- Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- On a sheet tray with baking paper add hazelnuts, and almonds. Transfer to oven and toast until golden (6-8 minutes).
- Repeat the same process in step 2 for the oats, nibs and rice. Toast until lightly coloured (about 5 minutes).
- Once all ingredients have been toasted, transfer to a medium bowl and add the cocoa powder and cinnamon stick. Combine then set aside until ready to use.
- In a saucepan, add the water and sugar. Bring to a rolling and continue until all sugar has been dissolved and mixture has turned into a light syrup.
- Pour syrup over dry ingredients, stir until combined. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend on high-speed for about 2-5 minutes (depending on the strength of the blender).
- Strain through a fine strainer. Return the liquid to the blender and repeat step 7 once more. Strain mixture into a sealable container.
- Add nut milk and stir. Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Enjoy over ice and a slight sprinkle of Terra Rossa.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how