- 190g Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 175g Flour
- 20g deZaan True Gold cocoa powder
- 160g Unsalted Butter (diced)
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment.
- Mix until it forms a paste like consistency.
- Remove from the bowl and bring together by hand.
- Roll out between sheets of parchment paper evenly to approx. 4mm thickness.
- Freeze until firm and then cut out relevant sizes. Keep frozen until used.
- 375g Milk
- 45g deZaan Terra Rossa cocoa powder
- 75g Hazelnut Praline
- 20g Cornflour/Corn Starch
- 100g Egg Yolk
- 225g Unsalted Butter (diced)
- 6g Bronze Gelatin Sheets
- Add the egg yolk, Terra Rossa cocoa powder & corn starch into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Bloom the gelatin straining out the excess water and place to one side with the diced butter.
- In a pan, bring milk to a simmer, pour over the contents in the bowl, whisking to temper.
- Transfer the mixture back into the pan and begin to ‘cook out’ until it reaches 84ºC and immediately remove from the heat.
- Add in the softened gelatin, hazelnut praline & diced butter, before using an immersion blender to emulsify. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 160g Water
- 50g Milk
- 120g Unsalted Butter (diced)
- 25g Caster Sugar
- 155g Flour
- 180g Whole Eggs
- In a pan, combine the water, milk and butter and heat until the liquid begins to simmer.
- Reduce the heat and then add the flour and sugar, mixing well. Allow the ‘paste’ to cook out before removing from the heat.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the paste with a paddle attachment. Add in the eggs gradually until the choux paste has formed.
- Remove from the bowl and transfer into a piping bag fit with a star nozzle.
- Pipe Paris-Brest to desired size ensuring that they are even and spaced out enough to avoid them touching when baking.
- Place a piece of the portioned craquelin on each and cook at 175ºC/345°F for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before finishing.
- Temper some milk chocolate and coat each Paris-rest, covering the layer of craquelin, adding some additional chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Ensuring the chocolate has fully set, slice them in half horizontally.
- Whip your mousseline to soft peaks and pipe a layer around the base of the Paris-Brest.
- Return the top of the Paris-Brest and serve.
- Recommended storage: refrigerate to a maximum of 6 hours or serve immediately to prevent from softening.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how