- 75g Brown Sugar
- 15g Honey
- 135g Butter
- 1 Vanilla bean
- 2 Vanilla bean dried
- 150g Eggs (about 3 large eggs)
- 75g Sugar (caster)
- 120g Flour
- 10g Carbon Black Cocoa Powder
- 2g Baking Powder
- In a saucepan, add butter, honey, vanilla seeds and brown sugar. Set aside until ready to use
- Sift flour cocoa powder, and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a heatproof metal container, add the dried vanilla beans (seeds removed). With a blow- torch, light the vanilla beans on fire (make sure it catches a decent flame) Let burn for about 20 seconds then blow out the flame. Cover container with a cloth or seal tight lid. (MAKING SURE THE FLAME IS COMPLETELY OUT, ONLY SMOKE REMAINS) Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Once vanilla beans have been smoked, remove from container and add to saucepan with butter mixture. Bring the mixture to a soft boil.
- Once butter and sugars have melted, cover and let infuse 10-15 minutes.
- Once well infused, return saucepan back to heat and bring to a soft boil. Once to a soft boil turn off heat. Remove vanilla beans.
- At the same time, add sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl. Whisk until ribbon stage.
- Once at ribbon stage, mix on low/medium speed and gradually add flour mixture
- Once incorporated, stream warm butter mixture. Mix on medium speed until butter is fully incorporated.
- Remove from bowl and to a piping bag. For best results, store batter overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bake at 200ºC for 12-14 minutes (regular sized madeleines).
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how