- 110g Self-Raising Flour
- 110g Salted Butter
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 15g Cocoa Powder - Carbon Black
- 4g (1 tsp) Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Prepare a loaf mould with greaseproof paper. Grease with a little bit of oil or butter.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Weigh and sift flour and baking powder in separate bowl.
- In another bowl weigh and lightly whisk your eggs.
- Incorporate alternate quantities of dry ingredients and eggs into the creamed mixture until fully incorporated.
- Add the cake batter to the moulds (smooth out the batter evenly to prevent burning or uneven baking).
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning the moulds occasionally). Test the readiness of the cakes by inserting a knife to the center of the cakes (if knife comes out clean, cake is ready).
- Once ready, remove the cakes from the oven and cool for 20 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- 300ml Whipping Cream
- 50g Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder - Terra Rossa
- 25ml Rum
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients in a pre-cooled mixing bowl.
- Whisk to form soft peaks.
- Store in fridge until needed.
- 50ml Rum
Cocoa Powder, Chocolate Decor, Fruit Pieces, Toasted Nuts,
- Once the loaf cake has cooled, cut the loaf (with a bread knife) into 3-4 layers.
- Place the first layer onto a serving plate, drizzle rum over the top allowing it to soak well into the cake.
- Add ¼ of frosting onto the cake, spreading evenly across the layer.
- Follow steps 2-3 for each layer.
- Use the remainder of the cream to coat the top and sides of the cake.
- Cake can be decorated with cocoa powder, chocolate décor, nuts and fruit pieces.
- Serve at room temperature for better texture and flavour.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how