- Render bacon with butter A until golden brown and crisp, remove from heat and set aside a third of the crisp bacon for garnish.
- While butter A is still hot, stir in butter B to infuse all the butter. Place in a bowl and leave in the fridge to cool overnight.
- Next day, in a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light.
- Stream in the egg and whisky into the batter and mix well.
- Sift all the dry ingredients except sea salt flakes and incorporate well into the batter.
- Allow the batter to rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and prepare a flat tray lined with parchment paper.
- After resting, divide into balls of 80g and place on tray with parchment paper with at least an inch distance away from the sides or other balls. Rest in the fridge for another 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sea salt flakes on the dough balls and bake in a 210C pre-heated oven for 12-14 mins.
- Cool completely on tray before removing to chill until firm enough to dip in the whisky ganache.
- 178g Double (Heavy) Cream
- 63g Sugar
- 60g Black Cocoa Powder
- 3g Vanilla Essence
- 70g Butter
- 50g Whisky
- To make the ganache, mix all ingredients in a pot and bring it up to 65°C and blend until homogenous.
- Cool the ganache to room temperature.
- Ensure that the cookies are cold and firm
- Dip half of the cookies in the room temperature ganache and drip off excess ganache before placing back on a tray
- Before the ganache complete sets, sprinkle the extra crisp bacon and sea salt flakes on the cookie
- Allow it to rest and firm up completely in the fridge before eating.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how