- 65g Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 10g Kirsch (alcohol-free ideally)
- 75g Granulated Sugar
- 65g Eggs
- 2g Baking Powder
- 70g Flour
- Beat the butter, kirsch, and sugar before adding the whole eggs gradually until the mixture is fluffy in texture.
- Fold through the sifted flour and baking powder until fully combined.
- Spread evenly (1cm thick) onto a prepared baking tray and bake at 170°C/338°F for 17 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, portion and reserve.
- 250g Cherry Puree
- 50g Water
- 15g deZaan True Gold Cocoa Powder
- 15g Granulated Sugar
- Ultratex (as needed)
- 90g Fresh Cherries (finely chopped)
- Heat the puree, water, cocoa powder, and sugar to dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and use the ultratex to thicken to the desired ‘gel-like’ consistency.
- Fold through the fresh chopped cherries.
- Transfer to a piping bag and fill the desired insert mold before freezing until set.
- 375g Cream 36-40% (1)
- 40g deZaan Crimson Red Cocoa Powder
- 125g Egg Yolk
- 30g Granulated Sugar
- 4 Gelatine Sheets (hydrated)
- 325g Cream 36-40% (lightly whipped) (2)
- Combine the egg yolk and sugar and reserve.
- Bring the cream (1) and cocoa powder to a simmer.
- Add the egg yolk mixture. Cook until thickened.
- Remove the thickened mixture from the heat and stir through the gelatine to dissolve.
- Cool to 40°C/104°F. Fold the mixture into cream (2).
- Transfer to a piping bag when ready for use.
- Once the cherry inserts are frozen, fill each cavity halfway with the bavarois before pushing one frozen cherry insert centrally into each.
- Pipe any additional bavarois into each leaving space for a piece of sponge.
- Use a palette knife to scrape away or remove any excess bavarois.
- Repeat until all the components have been used before placing them in the freezer to set.
- Remove each from the mold and use a basic red color mirror glaze to coat each and place onto a desired plate.
- To finish, use some edible gold leaf and a tempered chocolate ‘loop’ to resemble the ribbon of a festive tree ornament.
- Allow to defrost for a minimum of two hours at room temperature before consuming.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how