- 300ml Champagne
- 35g Caster Sugar
- 1 Lemon (Juice Only)
- 100g Fresh Strawberries (Finely Diced)
- Ultratex (To Thicken, By Eye)
- Combine and heat the champagne, caster sugar & lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Use the ultratex by adding gradually, processing with a hand blender to incorporate, until the desired ‘gel’ consistency has been achieved.
- Fold through the diced strawberries and when happy with the consistency of the mixture, fill the desired moulds and freeze until ready to use.
- 210g Caster sugar
- 190g Unsalted butter, softened
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 35g Rose Blush cocoa powder
- 180g Plain Flour
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- Cream together the caster sugar and butter until light in texture.
- Add in the eggs gradually, beating until all are combined. Sieve the cocoa powder, plain flour & baking powder before carefully folding through the eggs and sugar mix.
- Once your cake batter has formed, spread evenly onto a lined baking tray, before cooking in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 20 - 22 minutes until firm to the touch. Allow to cool fully before portioning to size.
- 4 Gelatine Sheets, Softened
- 325ml Double Cream
- 45g Rich Terracotta cocoa powder
- 125g Egg Yolk
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 325ml Double Cream, Lightly Whipped
- Strain the water from the gelatine sheets & leave to one side. Combine the cream, cocoa powder, sugar & egg yolk and heat, whisking throughout, to create an anglaise.
- Once achieved, stir in the gelatine, remove from the heat and process with a hand blender until smooth.
- Once the mixture has cooled to 40 degrees Celsius, fold in the whipped cream gradually, until fully incorporated, being careful to ensure the bavarois stays aerated.
- Transfer into a piping bag ready for building this gateau when all components are ready.
- Begin by selecting your chosen mould and piping a layer, almost half full, of the cocoa bavarois.
- Insert a frozen strawberry & champagne sphere from earlier central into each cavity before piping further mousse into each until almost full.
- Finish each cavity with a single piece of the portioned sponge, before smoothing over with a palette knife and allowing to freeze fully before attempting to demould.
- Before glazing the frozen gateaux, I chose to protect each by dipping them in a 75/25% ratio chocolate/cocoa butter mixture. This creates a ‘shell’ that will ensure the structural integrity of the creations upon defrost. This recipe and technique has been prominent in my other recipes & books throughout the years.
- I then chose to immediately glaze them in a baby pink coloured mirror glaze using my basic mirror glaze recipe before subtly displaying and finishing with a single candied rose petal and some small detailing with edible gold leaf. Allow to defrost for approximately 3 hours before serving or simply refrigerate and enjoy within 3 days.
Do you Know Cocoa?
The deZaan cocoa handbook developed exclusively for chefs and artisans is out now!
Excel your cocoa knowledge and be inspired with our distinguished book, meticulously developed by expert chefs and combining 110 years of cocoa knowledge.
Providing an abundance of cocoa knowledge and guidance, our just launched Know Cocoa book is going to be a firm favorite on your shelves and screens for 2023 and beyond. It’s the guide you’ve been waiting for. Excel your cocoa knowledge with deZaan and be excited!
deZaan is putting cocoa powder at the forefront of the table. With this range chefs can understand the ingredients at a more intimate level, which offers better control when creating new flavors, colors, and textures.
In our chef-led book, you will be given the scoop on:
- Revelatory cocoa cooking tips from our expert chefs and chef partners
- The six elements of cocoa powder and why they matter
- The difference pH and fat content can make for precision in your recipes
- The story of cocoa powder from bean to shelf
- How to convert recipes from chocolate to cocoa powder
- Original flavor pairings
- 27 foundational and inspirational recipes including technical deep dives
- A plethora of technical cocoa knowledge and know-how